Blinds and curtains with loose cords or chains can strangle young children. Since the early 1990s, at least 18 children have tragically died in Australia this way.
A child can place a loop over their head or get tangled in loose cords or chains when:
~ sleeping in a cot or bed where cords or chains are hanging;
~ playing near cords or chains; or
~ standing on furniture (chair, sofa, bed, table etc.) or climbing using something like
an overturned toy box/crate to look out of a window that has blind or curtain cords
Landlords have an obligation to ensure internal window coverings are safe.
Under section 42(2)(c) of the Residential Tenancies Act 1987, the landlord (lessor) is required to ensure that all aspects of the premises comply with laws relating to buildings, healt...Read More